Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Manly Issue # 2 - Stop! In the Name of Love... Handles

Before going to sleep, just about every night, I set my alarm for 6:30 AM and amp myself up for the next morning’s workout.  I plan out my workout routine, down to the specific exercise.  I start mentally preparing myself for a healthy breakfast to compliment my workout.  And since I’ll be getting up so early, I start to imagine all the things I’ll do the next day with my free time. 
I drift off to sleep and next thing I know, I’m being startled awake at 8:30 AM after having slept through 4 alarms.  I stumble out of bed to a hurried meal and shower.  Nothing went according to plan.  Nothing ever does.
So goes my workout dilemma.  I’d rather sleep. 
For those of you that have the drive and determination to set your goals at night and actually accomplish them the next morning, I have nothing but respect.  But I would assume that most of us fall into that “sleep-before-reps” category.  And that’s what's up.
Everyone is different.  Everyone has their specific go-to excuse. 
·         I’m just too busy.
·         I’ve worked all day, and I’m too tired.
·         I have kids to take care, so I don’t have enough hours in the day.
·         I just ate. Too full. For words.
·         A gym membership is too expensive.
·         I don’t like going alone.  If I had someone with me, I’d do it.
·         I’m too embarrassed.
·         It’s too hot.
·         It’s too cold.
·         It’s too moderately tempered outside and inside.
Okay, that last one is a joke, but it just goes to show you excuses come in all different shapes, sizes, and scenarios (I’ve given just about every one of those excuses myself). 
Eventually, I had to ask inner-Clint, what’s really going on here?  What is it that clicks with the gym rat that makes him get up and go.  How does he wake up at the rooster holler and not hate himself for it? 
I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m just lazy and he’s not.  It’s all about the right mentality and that’s something that I’ve lost.
I can find the time within my hectic day, if I wanted.  I can build the energy if I need to.  I can plan my day around my eating schedule without a problem.  There’s a gym for everybody.  It’s a matter of do I really want to do this or not.  For some in my position, it’s a healthy, “no, I’m good”.  And that’s great.  But for those guys, like myself, out there that want to work out, eat healthy, live a cleaner life, and we just don’t…  It’s time to start doing the do.
But how do we get over that proverbial hump?  For me, and I would assume for most, the answer lies within our own heads.  We think too much.  You’re probably reading this, thinking, “well that’s not an answer.  Who is this guy?”. 
But it is.  It’s easy as that.  Get out of your own head, just as I need to get out of my own.  (We could all go into someone else’s head, but that wouldn’t serve anyone’s purpose) 
Think about this “not thinking about it” approach. 
Lofty expectations - We have this ideal image of what we want to look like from what we know and see in our world around us.  We imagine who we are going to be before we even take a step in that direction.  We’ve thought about the outcome before starting the journey.  We have set ourselves up for disappointment before even beginning.  We then rationalize that we will never get there, so why even try.  We are “now” beings.  We want to see change immediately.  It’s our nature.  But working out takes patience and consistency.  So don’t think about it. 
Ego-crusher – Going to the gym takes energy, time, and cajones (especially for those that haven’t been in awhile).  We are surrounded with fit men and women with more experience and motivation.  Before even stepping into the gym, we are emasculated and intimidated by what we expect to encounter.   We tend to shy away so as not to embarrass or punish ourselves.  Instead of worrying about who else is at the gym, just go and find out.  Don’t think about it.
Time Better Spent – That moment for me that deters my motivation most is my internal agenda.  I know there is a lot to do in a day.  We all work and live full lives, so how do we find the time to work out (essentially, to do what most of us just do not like to do).  And there is no more appropriate excuse to use the “don’t think about it” approach.  Just go.  Get your clothes ready when you can.  Eat when you need.  But just go to the gym.  If you head out the door, chances are good that you’ll keep going.  Don’t think about what else you have to do, find your opportunity to work out, and bounce.
It doesn’t get said enough, but every guy cares about how he looks.  Go ahead and try to deny it.  You can’t, and I won't let you.  It’s a fact of life, the world is all about perception. And no one is immune to these worldly pressures.  As a guy, getting in shape is a revolving door.  We constantly want to work out but we don’t.  We get into the mood.  But we lose the motivation.
Take this guy as a great example.  No doubt that he got out of his own head and went for it... and then kept going... and going.... and going.  To the point that people told him to stop, but he, I'm sure didn't even think about it.  So man, good for you.  Keep up the good fight.

It’s not an issue of whether or not we care.  It comes down to whether or not we care enough.  Do yourself a favor and just go for it.  Sounds easy enough, because in this situation, it really is.  Get over yourself, and make things happen.

2 comments:

  1. By the next time I see you, Clint, I hope you look EXACTLY like the guy in the picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is me. Had that pic taken a couple days ago for my personal collection... Ha. Preciate the read. You're keeping this blog afloat.

      Delete